I would like to post this message hoping that those with pain and there seems to be no answer, you may have to act out of the box.
I wasted half a year looking for the correct doctor to treat me. This is very important because you want a permanent solution, not a temporary fix.
When my right foot started to give me pain, I went to the usual places for tui na, acupuncture, but they were of no help.
As the pain became more intense and more symptoms came up, I went to another TCM sinseh. After a few sessions and no improvement, I went to consult a polyclinic GP and he referred me to a podiatrist.
Note that most Singapore doctors are smart but not street smart. They were taught to look for symptoms and should there be no straight forward symptoms, they will refer the patient to another department or give unlikely causes. Most of the doctors did not check my other parts of my body, only those parts that might have symptoms.
When I had 2 different problems, I did not have all the symptoms and this made all the doctors confused. Yes, the doctors knew I had some nerve problems but they could not pin point the actual cause. Almost all those treated me assumed I had plantar fasciitis or achilles tendinitis when I told them of my foot pain.
After half a year, someone at last told me something different. When the podiatrist checked on me, he asked to walk and he noticed my uneven shoulders. He then measured my legs and confirmed they were uneven.
His solution was to make insoles which could make my foot better. To me, this is not a permanent solution.
Since I knew this problem, I went to a Chinese-trained chiropractor.
After 5-10 minutes of treatment that cost $30 for the session, I thought I was cured.
|my first chiropractor|
After the first problem was solved, the symptoms for my second problem came up. I had lower back ache, numbness and tightness in feet and legs. This was one question all the other doctors asked me initially "Do I have backache?". Well I did not have lower back ache initially. It was only after the alignment of my legs that this symptom came up.
I went to a second chiropractor. He is Western-trained. The treatment was over in 10, 15 minutes but the healing of my nerves will take a few months. (As of this post, I am almost 80-90% healed and I am slowly taking more pictures for my blog and resuming my normal exercises.)
|my second chiropractor|
1.When a doctor cannot cure you permanently, look elsewhere. Your health is more important than his reputation.
2. Do not be stingy. Do not hold back to look for the correct doctor. Money spent can always be earned back but holding back your treatment may cause permanent damage.
3. Check the internet on what may be your problem but do not assume that is correct. Talk with your doctor on all your symptoms and ask what are your problems. You should understand more from the doctor as compared with not checking the net first.
4. You must be willing to go to different doctors, either science trained or alternate doctors. You would not know who is your correct doctor if you restrict yourself to a certain category of doctors.
5. When you have more than 1 problem, the symptoms may confuse the doctors. Solve 1 problem at a time.
6. Pain, bone and nerve problems are best treated by alternate doctors. Acupuncturist can unblock acupoints for qi to flow so you feel less pain. Chiropractor can treat bone and nerve problems by aligning your bones back to original positions. Fractured and broken bones are still best be treated in hospital.
7. Surgery is always recommended by science trained doctors if they cannot treat your problem. It should be the last resort. What is removed from your body will most likely cannot grow back, so think carefully. Normally after surgery, you may still have problem since the original cause was not treated.
For those who would like to know more about chiropractors, you may want to read A bone to pick with chiropractors by ST. Please remember not to sign any package deal with any chiropractic clinic as you do not know for sure how many times you need to see your chiropractor before the problem is solved.
Some people may think otherwise about alternative healthcare system, but when it comes to nerves and bones, nothing can beat them. Science medicine system solution for nerve and bone problems that cannot be treated is surgery, which is one of the most dangerous solutions.
You may have noticed I did not update my blog for a few months and sad to say, anything new (like the upgraded Bukit Timah nature reserve) will only be done next year.
I am having this strange foot pain that my appointment with a podiatrist from a polyclinic is only next year since a MRI is required by the private consultant is too ex for me. My treatment with a TCM sinseh has not improved my situation at all.
So in the meantime, I will only post newspaper cuttings. But you may visit my new blog on Science and Health tips as the old blog was removed by Google as it claimed I used my blog for spamming.